Monday, July 18, 2005

Maybe its just me but this looks like it could help...

All eight of you who, on an average day, read this blog or stumble onto it lookng for minimal underware maximally modeled will detect that I don't read much. One of the things I don't read much is my hardcopy subscription to Tikkun. But in a fit of idleness I wondered what their website would look like and browsing there I found their attempt to build a "network of spritual progressives".

I don't think they will mind if I quote the short form of their charter verbatim because I am suggesting that you might find their cause worth joining. I did. Given the windmills at which I so windily tilt, my enthusiasm for this effort is founded partly the delight of discovering yet another group who are joined in what I once thought was a lonely cause. I particularly value items 1 and 4 of their adgenda:

  1. Advocates a New Bottom Line in America. This bottom takes into consideration not only how well institutions and the economy maximize money and power, but how well they maximizes love and caring, ethical and ecological sensitivity and behavior, kindness and generosity, non-violence and peace, and the extent to which they enhance our capacities to respond to other human beings in a way that honors them as embodiments of the sacred, and enhance our capacities to respond to the earth and the universe with awe, wonder and radical amazement.
  2. Challenges the misuse of religion, God and spirit by the Religious Right and
  3. Challenging the anti-religious and anti-spiritual assumptions and behaviors that have increasingly become part of the liberal culture
  4. Challenges the extreme individualism and "me-firstism" that permeate all parts of the global market culture.
It is not exactly me but then joining and helping never are.

No comments: