Thursday, October 06, 2005

The lessons our children teach.

Human decency is innate and as deep as a well.

I hope it would not surprise you yet would perhaps reassure you to read what turned up in a study of how children as young as 10 years old handled decision making about their own terminal illnesses. If freely choosing, for instance, to be the guinea pig who tests the safety of an experimental cancer drug knowing it may not make you better is not a death with dignity, I don't know what is. If it is not the courageous choice of one whose consciousness has grown a healthier attachment to life even as their body has sickened, I don't know what is.

If kids can make sound and generously humane decisions about their own end-of-life,
WHY THE HELL IS SOME STUPID CHURCH PUSHING SOME STUPID JUDGES TO TAKE THESE DECISIONS AWAY FROM GROWN UPS?

To live or die with dignity when frailty is the essence of our being, a perspective of mature acceptance frees us from blindly and futilely clinging to life.

...and in this, the children may be more grown up than the society.

2 comments:

Mumon K said...

That is one helluva catch.

Thanks. I'm thinking of putting it on my blog...

GreenSmile said...

Mumon:
I read strange things to be sure. I'd be honored to get mentioned in "Notes"...some pretty good company there.