Wednesday, December 27, 2006

2006: A fond farewell to the year of "we CAN DO this"

It really has been a good year in some ways. We introduced a morally dead and mentally challenged tyrant to his walking papers. Our little progress and ray of hope comes too late for all the people who died in Iraq, for the species that exist no more, for the thousands of islanders and shore dwellers whose homes and livelihoods have gone under the waves. So, for many more of us, it was also a year in hell. But I have had good guides and companions who help us rail at our sewage tides. To fellow bloggers who have enlivened my tenure on this sinking ship of humanity, my gratitude for your company. As the violinist said to his quartet when the Titanic began to tilt and slip toward the deep: "It has been an honor and a privilege to play with you." Above all, personally, it has been a year where I turned somewhat from the complaining that is the staple of my blogging toward the doing, in which I joined many though with what effect we can't yet say.

And, though the weather was far from conducive for photography or much of anything else, my son and I did make it all the way to the summit of Mt Washington. A more satisfying if less educational result than last year's attempt.


Note that rime encrusted structures are typical of Mt. Washington summit this time of year and those are NOT my eyebrows! Underneath that ice, the sign says "Mt. Washington Summit". Trust me, or check out the anemometers, just visible in the background through the ice fog, appearing just above my left glove which rests on the sign.

3 comments:

Davoh said...

"I have been to the mountaintop.." mm.

(am now praying that you don't get shot fer it. best wishes for 2007.)

Anonymous said...

Kudos to you and good wishes for the new year.
Jan

GreenSmile said...

Thank you Davo, thank you Jan.

I hope you have a great 2007 and I will try not to do anything to louse it up for you.