Monday, May 15, 2006

The earth is not all I borrow from my children

With each year I witness bloodier failures to share or negotiate and mounting ignorance violently turning ideologies away from convergence or conciliation. The minds most resistant to Darwin's insights are condemned to mindlessly carry out brutal demonstrations of the universality of those insights. I grow slightly more convinced that if there is a meaning to life that most of us could agree on, it may be discovered by some one in a far calmer and far away future of our species. Thus I can only lighten my own existance by borrowing a little meaning from that future: to continue and to enhance the chain of lives that may reach that future. This is not an easy task as the quantity of life already and increasingly degrades the quality of lives I seek to enhance.

No comments: