Monday, February 21, 2005

What we learn from our students...

My technically inclined son is also inclined to play and to treat organization and time management as if they were merely talking exercises unconnected in any way to what one actually works by or accomplishes. So now he is fixing up his transcript at a lesser university than the one that had to tell him to leave. Painful lesson that. But I think he's getting it. He sent me a link to a little parable. Well I guess I could have noted long ago that a different approach was needed in his case. When you yell at a kid for 10 years to clean up his room, you are doing a pretty dumb job of parenting. That's just a symptom and I should have looked for a cause.

The great teachers know the student as well as they know the subject.

No comments: